Carpenter Ant Facts
Here in British Columbia, ants are one of the biggest household pest problems. Most types of ants are primarily a nuisance rather than a threat. Unfortunately, that’s not the case for carpenter ants, which are wood-boring insects that are capable of causing a lot of damage to your property. These ants are known to burrow through wood and can oftentimes be mistaken for termites. Because carpenter ants are more dangerous than other species of ants that may infest your home or business. it’s important to learn about their behaviors and what you can do to prevent them.
The ant control experts at OnSite Pest Control are here to help. Keep reading to learn all you need to know about carpenter ants in Vancouver.
Top Facts About Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants are very unique in a number of ways. The best way to prevent a problem with these pests is to better understand their behaviors. Here’s what to know:
- Carpenter ants often get confused with termites because they have the similar behavior of chewing up wood. Unlike the termites, these antsdo not eat the wood for food. They will sprout wings as well and will look similar to a termite swarm.
- Carpenter ants chew up wood into ‘galleries’ in order to create places for them to lay eggs. Unlike the termites whose wood chewing develops mud-like tunnels, the carpenter ants chewing is dry. If you notice small piles of sawdust around a woodpile or under roof eaves then the likely hood of carpenter ants being the problem goes up. Carpenter bees will create similar piles of sawdust when creating their galleries to build nests.
- Carpenter ants ideally chew on rotted and/or moist wood. This allows them protection and easier ability to create their galleries for laying eggs. They will chew on dry wood if that is the only source for nesting that they can find.
- Carpenter ants do not pose a threat to human health. However, they can damage a home structurally if allowed to feed on your home unchecked. But the most they can do to a human is bite them, which feels like a slight pinch. They do look pretty formidable a bug with their front pinchers and comparable size to other ants.
- Getting rid of carpenter ants requires the help of a professional pest control expert. Since their nesting source can be tricky to find and eliminate with household pesticides save your energy on this pest. This will also help you from damaging your own home in trying to eliminate the colony.
- If you do not have carpenter ants to get rid of you can help prevent them from getting into your house by doing the following. Fix roof or drainage leaks that create moisture issues, keep firewood away from the home, trim back tree branches that touch the house, and seal any cracks in the foundation that might give access to the house.
Help With Carpenter Ants in Your Home
If you begin to notice the signs of carpenter ant activity, it’s best to get in touch with your local ant control experts. At OnSite, our experts know how to get rid of ant problems in your home as well as keep them away for good. Contact us today to learn more!
Carpenter Ant Facts in Vancouver BC
Serving the Vancouver & Abbotsford BC area